[openstack-dev] [Mistral][TaskFlow] Mistral-TaskFlow Summary

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Wed Apr 16 05:31:50 UTC 2014

On 16 Apr 2014, at 00:18, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Decider sounds like it could work also as a name, although it seems from dataflow like work its called a switch or gate, either or I guess.

That’s fine. It doesn’t matter too much to me personally.

> As far as the micro-language:
>
> So there are typically 2 types of DSL's that occur, internal and external.
>
> An internal DSL is like http://martinfowler.com/bliki/InternalDslStyle.html, taskflow is already a micro-DSL internal to python (mistral is an external DSL[1]). To me there is a drawback of becoming to much of a DSL (internal or external) in that it requires a lot of new learning (imho internal DSLs are easier to pick-up since they take advantage of the surrounding languages capabilities, in this case python). So that’s what I just want to keep in our minds that we need to make it simple *enough*, or we will die a nasty death of complexity :-P
>
> [1] http://martinfowler.com/bliki/DomainSpecificLanguage.html

Ok, got it. Thanks. I’m just still not sure why you emphasize on that micro-language thing. IMO terms like that can scary people :) In fact, this ‘switch’ (or decider, or whatever) is just an additional API which can be used to alter flow behavior.