[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Default paths in os-*-config projects

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 23:30:32 UTC 2014

On 15/04/14 13:30, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2014-04-14 15:41:23 -0700:
>> Right now the os-*-config projects default to looking for their files in
>> /opt/stack, with an override env var provided for other locations.  For
>> packaging purposes it would be nice if they defaulted to a more
>> FHS-compliant location like /var/lib.  For devtest we could either
>> override the env var or simply install the appropriate files to /var/lib.
>>
>> This was discussed briefly in IRC and everyone seemed to be onboard with
>> the change, but Robert wanted to run it by the list before we make any
>> changes.  If anyone objects to changing the default, please reply here.
>>   I'll take silence as agreement with the move. :-)
>>
> +1 from me for doing FHS compliance. :)
>
> /var/lib is not actually FHS compliant as it is for "Variable state
> information". os-collect-config does have such things, and does use
> /var/lib. But os-refresh-config reads executables and os-apply-config
> reads templates, neither of which will ever be "variable state
> information".
>
> /usr/share would be the right place, as it is "Architecture independent
> data". I suppose if somebody wants to compile a C program as an o-r-c
> script we could rethink that, but I'd just suggest they drop it in a bin
> dir and exec it from a one line shell script in the /usr/share.
>
> So anyway, I suggest:
>
> /usr/share/os-apply-config/templates
> /usr/share/os-refresh-config/scripts
>
> With the usual hierarchy underneath.
+1, but might I suggest the orc location be:
/usr/libexec/os-refresh-config/*.d

> We'll need to continue to support the non-FHS paths for at least a few
> releases as well.

Instead of supporting both paths, how about the orc and oac elements set
OS_REFRESH_CONFIG_BASE_DIR and OS_CONFIG_APPLIER_TEMPLATES to
/opt/stack/... until tripleo is ready to switch? With some prep changes
it should be possible to make the flag-day change to require only
changing the value of these env vars in tripleo-image-templates.