[openstack-dev] [heat] computed package names?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 20:32:30 UTC 2014

On 15/04/14 15:57, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 04/15/2014 03:29:03 PM:
>
>  > On 15/04/14 14:31, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
>  > > It appears that in Fedora 19 and 20 the Wordpress examples need to
>  > > install different packages than in every other release (see my
> debugging
>  > > in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/87065/).  I just got a complaint
>  > > from Heat validation that I can't do this:
>  > >
>  > >          "AWS::CloudFormation::Init" : {
>  > >            "config" : {
>  > >              "packages" : {
>  > >                "yum" : {
>  > > { "Fn::FindInMap" : [ "Pkgset2Pkgs", { "Fn::FindInMap" : [
>  > > "Distro2Pkgset", { "Ref" : "LinuxDistribution" }, "db" ] },
> "client" ] }
>  > > : [],
>  > > { "Fn::FindInMap" : [ "Pkgset2Pkgs", { "Fn::FindInMap" : [
>  > > "Distro2Pkgset", { "Ref" : "LinuxDistribution" }, "db" ] },
> "server" ] }
>  > > : [],
>  > >
>  >
>  > .. in
>  > JSON a property name cannot be an object ...
>
> Ah, right.  So what would be the simplest way to enable this use case?
>   Perhaps a generalization of AWS::CloudFormation::Init that allows the
> package names to be objects (that evaluate to strings, of course)?
>   Maybe allow, e.g., "yum" to be associated with not a map but rather a
> list of pairs (2-element lists)?

Yes, that _kind_ of thing. But I don't see much point in having an
AWS::CloudFormation::Init section that isn't compatible with
CloudFormation's definition of it. We already have some native
in-instance tools (e.g. os-apply-config) that can probably handle this
better.

FWIW, in the short term I'm not aware of any issue with installing
mariadb in Fedora 17/18, provided that mysql is not installed first. And
in fact they're both EOL anyway, so we should probably migrate all the
templates to Fedora 20 and mariadb.

cheers,
Zane.