[openstack-dev] [Nova] Thoughts from the PTL

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Apr 15 20:23:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org> wrote:
> On 04/14/2014 06:58 AM, Michael Still wrote:
>> First off, thanks for electing me as the Nova PTL for Juno.
>
> Congratulations Michael.
>
>> * I promised to look at mentoring newcomers. The first step there is
>> working out how to identify what newcomers to mentor, and who mentors
>> them.
>
> I'm very interested in the mentoring topic, too. As many may know, the
> Foundation will host an Upstream Training session in Atlanta. This is
> first attempt at formalizing the process to become a *good* contributor
> to OpenStack. Mentorship is a crucial part of that training, which is
> made of in-person classes and online mentorship (before and after the
> in-person training).
>
> OpenStack project has also two other programs where mentorship is
> crucial: Outreach Program for Women (it's been running for almost 2
> years now) and we added also Google Summer of Code. Mentoring is now
> becoming "a thing we do" among the other things we do.
>
> I think the easy "targets" to mentor are Upstream students, OPW and GSoC
> candidates.  I'd be happy to have a session at the summit about this.

Sounds good to me. The goal here from the nova side is to have nova be
a fun project to contribute to so that we don't shed the developers we
need to sustain our growth over time. Adding new developers is
important because people do leave nova in a natural process of moving
onto other problems, so we need to be growing new developers to
replace attrition.

I'm intending to drop in on the Upstream University stuff happening
the weekend before the summit and see if there's any way I can help.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Rackspace Australia