[openstack-dev] TC candidacy

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 18:45:54 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I’d like to announce my candidacy for the Technical Committee election.

I was one of the original authors of the Nova project and served as
its PTL for the first two years that the position existed. I have also
been on the Technical Comittee since its inception. I was also recently
elected to the OpenStack Board. In my day job I am  the Chief Technical
Officer for Nebula, a startup focused on bringing OpenStack to the
Enterprise.

My role in OpenStack has changed over time from being one of the top
code contributors to more leadership and planning. I helped start both
Cinder and Devstack. I’m on the stable-backports committee, and I’m
currently working on an effort to bring Hierarchical Multitenancy to
all of the OpenStack Projects. I also spend a lot of my time dealing
with my companies customers, which are real operators and users of
OpenStack.

I think there are two major governance issues that need to be addressed
in OpenStack. We’ve started having these discussions in both the Board
and the Technical Committee, but some more effort is needed to drive
them home.

1. Stop the kitchen-sink approach. We are adding new projects like mad
and in order to keep the quality of the integrated release high, we have
to raise the bar to be come integrated. We made some changes over the
past few months here.
2. Better product management. This was a topic of discussion at the
last board meeting and one we hope to continue at the joint meeting in
Atlanta. We have a bit of a whole across openstack that is filled in
most organizations by a product management team. We need to be more
conscious of release quality and addressing customer issues. It isn’t
exactly clear how something like this should happen in Open Source,
but it is something we should try to address.

I hope to be able to continue to address these issues on the Technical
Committee and provide some much-needed understanding from the “old-days”
of OpenStack. It is often helpful to know where you came from in order
see the best direction to go next.

Thanks,
Vish Ishaya