[openstack-dev] Payload within RabbitMQ messages for Nova related exchanges

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Tue Apr 15 13:40:02 UTC 2014

On 04/15/2014 10:07 AM, George Monday wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I've got a quick question about the RabbitMQ exchanges. We are writing
> listeners
> for the RabbitMQ exchanges. The basic information about the tasks like
> compute.instance.create.[start|stop] etc. as stored in the 'payload'
> attribute of the
> json message are my concern at the moment.
>
> Does this follow a certain predefined structure that's consistent for
> the lifetime of, say,
> a specific nova api version? Will this change in major releases (from
> havana to icehouse)?
> Is this subject to change without notice? Is there a definition
> available somewhere? Like for
> the api versions?
>
> In short, how reliable is the json structure of the payload attribute in
> a rabbitMQ message?
>
> We just want to make sure, that with an update to the OpenStack
> controller, we wouldn't
> break our listeners?

Hey George,

Most of the notifications are documented here
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/SystemUsageData

But, you're correct that there is no versioning on these currently, but
there are some efforts to fix this (specifically around CADF-support)

Here's some more info on notifications if you're interested:
http://www.sandywalsh.com/2013/09/notification-usage-in-openstack-report.html

Hope it helps!
-S