[openstack-dev] Neutron Migrations, service plugins and Grenade jobs

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Apr 15 12:03:51 UTC 2014

Thanks Anna.

I've been following the issue so far, but I am happy to hand it over to you.
I think the problem assessment is complete, but if you have more questions
ping me on IRC.

Regarding the solution, I think we already have a fairly wide consensus on
the approach.
There are however a few details to discuss:
- Conflicting schemas. For instance two migrations for two distinct plugins
might create tables with the same name but different columns.
  We first need to look at existing migrations to verify where this
condition occurs, and then study a solution case by case.
- Logic for "corrective" migrations. For instance a corrective migration
for 569e98a8132b_metering is needed. However, such corrective migration
should have logic for understanding whether the original migration has been
executed or not.
- Corrective actions for corrupted schemas. This would be the case, for
instance, of somebody which enables metering while the database is at a
migration rev higher than the one when metering was introduced.

I reckon it might be the case of putting together a specification and push
it to the newly created neutron-specs repo, assuming that we feel confident
enough to start using this new process (Kyle and Mark might chime in on
this point). Also, I would like to see this work completed by Juno-1, which
I reckon is a reasonable target.

Of course I'm available for discussing design, implementation, reviewing
and writing code.

Salvatore