[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Requirements and API revision progress

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Tue Apr 15 12:00:27 UTC 2014

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for a good summary. Some comments inline.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Stephen Balukoff <sbalukoff at bluebox.net>wrote:

> So! On this front:
>
> 1. Does is make sense to keep filling out use cases in Samuel's document
> above? I can think of several more use cases that our customers actually
> use on our current deployments which aren't considered in the 8 cases in
> Samuel's document thus far. Plus nobody has create any use cases from the
> cloud operator perspective yet.

I treat Sam's doc as a source of use cases to triage API proposals. If you
think you have use cases that don't fit into existing API or into proposed
API, they should certainly be brought to attention.

> 2. It looks like we've started to get real-world data on Load Balancer
> features in use in the real world. If you've not added your organization's
> data, please be sure to do so soon so we can make informed decisions about
> product direction. On this front, when will we be making these decisions?

I'd say we have two kinds of features - one kind is features that affect or
even define the object model and API.
Other kind are features that are implementable within existing/proposed API
or require slight changes/evolution.
First kind is the priority: while some of such features may or may not be
implemented in some particular release, we need to implement proper
infrastructure for them (API, obj model)

Oleg Bondarev (he's neutron core) and me are planning and mostly interested
to work on implementing generic stuff like API/obj model and adopt haproxy
driver to it. So our goal is to make implementation of particular features
simpler for contributors and also make sure that proposed design fits in
general lbaas architecture. I believe that everyone who wants to see
certain feature may start working on it - propose design, participate in
discussions and start actually writing the code.

> 3. Jorge-- I know an action item from the last meeting was to draft a
> revision of the API (probably starting from something similar to the Atlas
> API). Have you had a chance to get started on this, and are you open for
> collaboration on this document at this time? Alternatively, I'd be happy to
> take a stab at it this week (though I'm not very familiar with the Atlas
> API-- so my proposal might not look all that similar).

+1, i'd like to see something as well.

> What format or template should we be following to create the API
> documentation?  (I see this here:
> http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-network/2.0/content/ch_preface.html but this seems like it might be a little heavy for an API draft that is
> likely to get altered significantly, especially given how this discussion
> has gone thus far. :/ )

Agree, that's too heavy for API sketch. I think a set of resources with
some attributes plus a few cli calls is what could show the picture.

Thanks,
Eugene.