[openstack-dev] deliver the vm-level HA to improve the business continuity with openstack

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 11:01:13 UTC 2014

On 14 April 2014 19:51, James Penick <penick at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> We drive the ³VM=Cattle² message pretty hard. Part of onboarding a
> property to our cloud, and allowing them to serve traffic from VMs is
> explaining the transient nature of VMs. I broadcast the message that all
> compute resources die, and if your day/week/month is ruined because of a
> single compute instance going away, then you¹re doing something Very
> Wrong. :)

While I agree with the message, if cloud provider A has VM restarts
every hour, and B has restarts every 6 months, all other things being
equal I'm going to go with B. Restarts are a pain point for most
systems, requiring data resynchronisation etc, so looking to minimise
them is a good aim as long as it doesn't conflict much with other
concerns...