[openstack-dev] [neutron][chaining][policy] Port-oriented Network service chaining

Kanzhe Jiang kanzhe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 01:07:48 UTC 2014

Hi Carlos,

This is Kanzhe. We discussed your port-based SFC on the Neutron advanced
service IRC.
I would like to reach out to you to discuss a bit more.

As you know, Neutron port is a logic abstraction for network interfaces
with a MAC and IP address. However, network services could be used at
different layers, L3, L2, or L1. In L3 case, each service interface could
be easily mapped to a Neutron port. However, in the other two cases, there
won't be a corresponding Neutron port. In your proposal, you mentioned DPI
service. What is your thought?

Neutron doesn't have traffic steering API. Is Neutron port the right
abstraction to introduce traffic steering API? Or May Neutron need separate
abstraction for such?

Love to discuss more!
Kanzhe