[openstack-dev] [heat] Re: deliver the vm-level HA to improve the business continuity with openstack

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 17:31:03 UTC 2014

On 04/14/2014 10:20 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-04-14 at 07:45 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Excerpts from Russell Bryant's message of 2014-04-14 07:18:49 -0700:

>>> In the past we've pushed back on this pretty heavily because it isn't
>>> really relevant for new cloud-style architectures.  The push on this
>>> functionality from a lot of users is pretty insistent so I expect it to
>>> be added at some point in some way, it's just a question of the most
>>> appropriate way.
>>>
>>> What I would like to see is to *not* have this be in Nova.  I'd like to
>>> make sure Nova exposes all necessary information and actions through the
>>> API to make implementing this possible.  However, I think the
>>> functionality generally belongs as something outside of Nova.
>>>
>>> If it's something that lives outside of Nova, then we should discuss it
>>> in terms of public APIs (whether that's Nova's API, or a combination of
>>> Nova and Ceilometer, perhaps).
>>>
>> For the most part we've been trying to encourage projects that want to
>> control VMs to add such functionality to the Orchestration program, aka
>> "Heat".
> Yes, exactly.
>
> -jay

Hey folks,

Just as a note for HA for VMs, our current heat-core thinking is our
HARestarter resource functionality is a workflow (Restarter is a verb,
rather then a Noun - Heat orchestrates Nouns) and would be better suited
to a workflow service like Mistral.  Clearly we don't know how to get
from where we are today to the proper separation of concerns as pointed
out by Zane Bitter in recent threads on the ml but just throwing this
out there so folks are aware.

Regards
-steve