[openstack-dev] [infra] Consolidating efforts around Fedora/Centos gate job

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 08:01:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 03:43:40PM +1000, Ian Wienand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To summarize recent discussions, nobody is opposed in general to
> having Fedora / Centos included in the gate.  However, it raises a
> number of "big" questions : which job(s) to run on Fedora, where does
> the quota for extra jobs come from, how do we get the job on multiple
> providers, how stable will it be, how will we handle new releases,
> centos v fedora, etc.
>
> I think we agreed in [1] that the best thing to do is to start small,
> get some experience with multiple platforms and grow from there.  Thus
> the decision to target a single job to test just incoming devstack
> changes on Fedora 20.  This is a very moderate number of changes, so
> adding a separate test will not have a huge impact on resources.
>
> Evidence points to this being a good point to start.  People
> submitting to devstack might have noticed comments from "redhatci"
> like [2] which reports runs of their change on a variety of rpm-based
> distros.  Fedora 20 has been very stable, so we should not have many
> issues.  Making sure it stays stable is very useful to build on for
> future gate jobs.
>
> I believe we decided that to make a non-voting job we could just focus
> on running on Rackspace and avoid the issues of older fedora images on
> hp cloud.  Longer term, either a new hp cloud version comes, or DIB
> builds the fedora images ... either way we have a path to upgrading it
> to a voting job in time.  Another proposal was to use the ooo cloud,
> but dprince feels that is probably better kept separate.
>
> Then we have the question of the nodepool setup scripts working on
> F20.  I just tested the setup scripts from [3] and it all seems to
> work on a fresh f20 cloud image.  I think this is due to kchamart,

I should be honest and correct that I didn't fix anything myself, execpt
co-ordinating with Fedora package maintainers on a sudo issue and a
couple of other related things clarkb pointed out :-)

> peila2 and others who've fixed parts of this before.
>
> So, is there:
>
>  1) anything blocking having f20 in the nodepool?
>  2) anything blocking a simple, non-voting job to test devstack
>     changes on f20?

Thanks for co-ordinating this, Ian, Fedora on Gate would be quite
useful.

I generally do most of my testing on Fedora 20 and Rawhide (when
possible) trying to stay close to upstream, so count me in for assisting
in debugging any issues while testing.

I just read the IRC conversation and read this

  "clarkb> because no one has up to date fedora images for us"

Two sources of reliable Fedora images I can think of:

  - Fedora project already provides[1] updated (i.e., the below qcow2 image
    already has the fixes for the OpenSSL 'heartbleed' issue) Fedora
    images designed to work in OpenStack environments -- the kickstart
    file[2] used to generate the Fedora image describes it.

  - Alternatively, the virt-builder project[3] also currently provides
    cryptographically signed templates of minimal Fedora images[4].
    How the images are generated is described here[5].

  [1] http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/fedora-latest.x86_64.qcow2
  [2] https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/cloud-kickstarts.git/tree/generic/fedora-20.ks
  [3] http://libguestfs.org/virt-builder.1.html
  [4] http://libguestfs.org/download/builder/