[openstack-dev] [Nova] Thoughts from the PTL

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Apr 14 04:58:52 UTC 2014

First off, thanks for electing me as the Nova PTL for Juno. I find the
outcome of the election both flattering and daunting. I'd like to
thank Dan and John for running as PTL candidates as well -- I strongly
believe that a solid democratic process is part of what makes
OpenStack so successful, and that isn't possible without people being
will to stand up during the election cycle.

I'm hoping to send out regular emails to this list with my thoughts
about our current position in the release process. Its early in the
cycle, so the ideas here aren't fully formed yet -- however I'd rather
get feedback early and often, in case I'm off on the wrong path. What
am I thinking about at the moment? The following things:

* a mid cycle meetup. I think the Icehouse meetup was a great success,
and I'd like to see us do this again in Juno. I'd also like to get the
location and venue nailed down as early as possible, so that people
who have complex travel approval processes have a chance to get travel
sorted out. I think its pretty much a foregone conclusion this meetup
will be somewhere in the continental US. If you're interested in
hosting a meetup in approximately August, please mail me privately so
we can chat.

* specs review. The new blueprint process is a work of genius, and I
think its already working better than what we've had in previous
releases. However, there are a lot of blueprints there in review, and
we need to focus on making sure these get looked at sooner rather than
later. I'd especially like to encourage operators to take a look at
blueprints relevant to their interests. Phil Day from HP has been
doing a really good job at this, and I'd like to see more of it.

* I promised to look at mentoring newcomers. The first step there is
working out how to identify what newcomers to mentor, and who mentors
them. There's not a lot of point in mentoring someone who writes a
single drive by patch, so working out who to invest in isn't as
obvious as it might seem at first. Discussing this process for
identifying mentoring targets is a good candidate for a summit
session, so have a ponder. However, if you have ideas let's get
talking about them now instead of waiting for the summit.

* summit session proposals. The deadline for proposing summit sessions
for Nova is April 20, which means we only have a little under a week
to get that done. So, if you're sitting on a summit session proposal,
now is the time to get it in.

* business as usual. We also need to find the time for bug fix code
review, blueprint implementation code review, bug triage and so forth.
Personally, I'm going to focus on bug fix code review more than I have
in the past. I'd like to see cores spend 50% of their code review time
reviewing bug fixes, to make the Juno release as solid as possible.
However, I don't intend to enforce that, its just me asking real nice.

Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and please do let me
know if you think this sort of communication is useful.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Rackspace Australia