[openstack-dev] [infra][nova][docker]

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Apr 11 20:58:23 UTC 2014

On 04/11/2014 04:39 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 04/11/2014 04:29 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:
>>
>>     What I hope to do is setup a check doing CI on devstack-f20 nodes[3],
>>     this will setup a devstack based nova with the nova-docker driver and
>>     can then run what ever tests make sense (currently only a minimal test,
>>     Eric I believe you were looking at tempest support maybe it could be
>>     hooked in here?).
>>

>> I'm not sure how far you've gotten, but my approach had been not to use
>> devstack-gate, but to build upon dockenstack
>> (https://github.com/ewindisch/dockenstack) to hasten the tests.
>>
>> Advantages to this over devstack-gate are that:
>> 1) It is usable for developers as an alternative to devstack-vagrant so
>> it may be the same environment for developing as for CI.
>> 2) All network-dependent resources are downloaded into the image -
>> completely eliminating the need for mirrors/caching infrastructure.
>> 3) Most of the packages are installed and pre-configured inside the
>> image prior to running the tests such that there is little time spent
>> initializing the testing environment.
>>
>> Disadvantages are:
>> 1) It's currently tied to Ubuntu. It could be ported to Fedora, but
>> hasn't been.
>> 2) Removal of apt/rpm or even pypi dependencies may allow for
>> false-positive testing results (if a dependency is removed from a
>> requirements.txt or devstack's packages lists, it will still be
>> installed within the testing image); This is something that could be
>> easily fixed if should it be essential.
>>
>> If you're interested, I'd be willing to entertain adding Fedora support
>> to Dockenstack.
>
> I think part of the issue is how quickly we can get this working in
> OpenStack infra.  devstack-gate and devstack are how most (all?)
> functional test jobs work there today.

Correct. If this is intended for infra, it has to use devstack-gate.
That has lots of levers that we need to set based on branches, how to do
the zuul ref calculations (needed for the speculative gating), how to do
branch overrides for stable an upgrade jobs, etc.

If we think it's staying in 3rd party, people are free to use whatever
they would like.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague