[openstack-dev] Vagrant Devstack projects - time to consolidate?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Apr 11 14:42:18 UTC 2014

On 04/11/2014 10:34 AM, Collins, Sean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed a proliferation of Vagrant projects that are popping up, is
> there any interest from other authors in trying to consolidate?
>
> https://github.com/bcwaldon/vagrant_devstack
>
> https://github.com/sdague/devstack-vagrant
>
> http://openstack.prov12n.com/how-to-make-a-lot-of-devstack-with-vagrant/
>
> https://github.com/jogo/DevstackUp
>
> https://github.com/search?q=vagrant+devstack&ref=cmdform

That's definitely an option. As I look at the differences across the
projects I mostly see that there are differences with the provisioning
engine.

My personal end game was to get to a point where it would be simple to
replicate the devstack gate, which means reusing that puppet policy
(which is why I started with puppet). I see
https://github.com/bcwaldon/vagrant_devstack is based on chef. And
https://github.com/jogo/DevstackUp is just shell.

Maybe it would be good to get an ad-hoc IRC meeting together to figure
out what the must have features are that inspired everyone to write
these. If we can come up with a way to overlap those all sanely, moving
to stackforge and doing this via gerrit would be something I'd be into.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America