[openstack-dev] [infra] Consolidating efforts around Fedora/Centos gate job

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Fri Apr 11 05:43:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

To summarize recent discussions, nobody is opposed in general to
having Fedora / Centos included in the gate.  However, it raises a
number of "big" questions : which job(s) to run on Fedora, where does
the quota for extra jobs come from, how do we get the job on multiple
providers, how stable will it be, how will we handle new releases,
centos v fedora, etc.

I think we agreed in [1] that the best thing to do is to start small,
get some experience with multiple platforms and grow from there.  Thus
the decision to target a single job to test just incoming devstack
changes on Fedora 20.  This is a very moderate number of changes, so
adding a separate test will not have a huge impact on resources.

Evidence points to this being a good point to start.  People
submitting to devstack might have noticed comments from "redhatci"
like [2] which reports runs of their change on a variety of rpm-based
distros.  Fedora 20 has been very stable, so we should not have many
issues.  Making sure it stays stable is very useful to build on for
future gate jobs.

I believe we decided that to make a non-voting job we could just focus
on running on Rackspace and avoid the issues of older fedora images on
hp cloud.  Longer term, either a new hp cloud version comes, or DIB
builds the fedora images ... either way we have a path to upgrading it
to a voting job in time.  Another proposal was to use the ooo cloud,
but dprince feels that is probably better kept separate.

Then we have the question of the nodepool setup scripts working on
F20.  I just tested the setup scripts from [3] and it all seems to
work on a fresh f20 cloud image.  I think this is due to kchamart,
peila2 and others who've fixed parts of this before.

So, is there:

 1) anything blocking having f20 in the nodepool?
 2) anything blocking a simple, non-voting job to test devstack
    changes on f20?

Thanks,

-i

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/infra/2014/infra.2014-04-08-19.01.log.html#l-89