[openstack-dev] [nova][pci]PCI SR-IOV use cases initial doc

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Thu Apr 10 08:40:21 UTC 2014

Apologies, that came out all wrong...

On 10 April 2014 09:28, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:
> I think writing this up as a nova-spec is going to make this process
> much easier:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprints#Nova
>
> It will save you having to re-write your document once you want to
> submit a blueprint, and we can all see each others comments in gerrit,
> and more clearly see how things change and evolve. The way the
> template in nova-spec works, it should also help you with structuring
> your argument.

Thats just want I would find easier, its just a suggestion.

> Please don't design assuming a single vendor solution, that is sure to
> get rejected (at least my me) at the blueprint review stage. You might
> want a different vendor in each AZ to isolate you from failures due to
> vendor bugs, if you are digging for a use case.

I guess thats a tenant use case, I got confused reading through those.

> I still can't see a clear description of the "tenant" use cases, I
> still think thats the key to getting agreement here, and getting
> useful feedback at the summit. Not sure I understand the tables, they
> seem a bit confusing/distracting.

Sorry, forgot to mention, you are making good progress here. But,
given the loop we are going around here, I think agreeing the "ideal"
use cases, then looking at the detail, and looping back to see if
everything "works" is probably the right approach. Other ideas
welcome!

Once there are the use cases, given all the Config vs API debates, I
would look at the pure data flow, in a Config/API agnostic way.
Agreeing the info needed from the user, then in the VIF driver, then
in between, etc. We should be able to agree on that, before returning
to the host aggregates API vs something new API vs more config debate.
Right it doesn't seem to be clear what is required, so its hard to
know what the best approach is, compared to other features we already
have in Nova.

At the moment I am struggling to see the whole picture, getting the
general idea clear before the summit would be awesome, so we can
discuss how to stage the implementation, deal with backwards
compatibility, etc.

Thanks,
John