[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev][Nova][VMWare] Enable live migration with one nova compute

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 12:53:16 UTC 2014

Hi Juan, thanks for your response. Comments inline.

On Mon, 2014-04-07 at 10:22 +0200, Juan Manuel Rey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to this list, actually this is my first email sent, and
> to OpenStack in general, but I'm not new at all to VMware so I'll try
> to give you my point of view about possible use case here.
>
> Jay you are saying that by using Nova to manage ESXi hosts we don't
> need vCenter because they basically overlap in their capabilities.

Actually, no, this is not my main point. My main point is that Nova
should not change its architecture to fit the needs of one particular
host management platform (vCenter).

Nova should, as much as possible, communicate with vCenter to perform
some operations -- in the same way that Nova communicates with KVM or
XenServer to perform some operations. But Nova should not be
re-architected (and I believe that is what has gone on here with the
code change to have one nova-compute worker talking to multiple vCenter
clusters) just so that one particular host management scheduler/platform
(vCenter) can have all of its features exposed to Nova.

>  I agree with you to some extent, Nova may have similar capabilities
> as vCenter Server but as you know OpenStack as a full cloud solution
> adds a lot more features that vCenter lacks, like multitenancy just to
> name one.

Sure, however, my point is that Nova shouldn't need to be re-architected
just to adhere to one particular host management platform's concepts of
an atomic provider of compute resources.

> Also in any vSphere environment managing ESXi hosts individually, this
> is without vCenter, is completely out of the question. vCenter is the
> enabler of many vSphere features. And precisely that's is, IMHO, the
> use case of using Nova to manage vCenter to manage vSphere. Without
> vCenter we only have a bunch of hypervisors and none of the HA or DRS
> (dynamic resource balancing) capabilities that a vSphere cluster
> provides, this in my experience with vSphere users/customers is a no
> go scenario.

Understood. Still doesn't change my opinion though :)

Best,
-jay