[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Agent]

Ezra Silvera EZRA at il.ibm.com
Tue Apr 8 20:49:17 UTC 2014

> Vladimir Kozhukalov <vkozhukalov at mirantis.com> wrote on 08/04/2014
01:04:38 PM:

> 1) We agreed that Ironic is that place where we can store hardware
> info ('extra' field in node model). But many modern hardware
> configurations support hot pluggable hard drives, CPUs, and even
> memory. How Ironic will know that hardware configuration is changed?
> Does it need to know about hardware changes at all? Is it supposed
> that some monitoring agent (NOT ironic agent) will be used for that?
> But if we already have discovering extension in Ironic agent, then
> it sounds rational to use this extension for monitoring as well. Right?

Maybe I misunderstood the intent here but I'm a little confuse about the
hardware info (or inventory). The main question is why do we store the
information for - if it's just for the supported Ironic operations then I
don't think this info need to be updated in real time as the changes has
no impact on the Ironic possible operations, so for this purpose updating
it through the RAM disk during boot is good enough.
If, on the other hand, you want to take advantage of the Ironic model to
server as centric place for HW related information I think , once again we
need to make sure we don't  overlap with OS based configuration management
tools. Plug & play changes are by definition detected  and managed by the
OS so I'm not sure that Ironic is indeed the right place to store such
real-time updates.

Thanks,

Ezra

Tel: 972-4-8296005      Email: ezra at il.ibm.com