[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Agent]

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 17:46:27 UTC 2014

On 08/04/14 14:04 +0400, Vladimir Kozhukalov wrote:
<snip>
>0) There are a plenty of old hardware which does not have IPMI/ILO at all.
>How Ironic is supposed to power them off and on? Ssh? But Ironic is not
>supposed to interact with host OS.

I'm more accustomed to using PDUs for this type of thing. I.e., a
power strip you can ssh into or hit via a web API to toggle power to
individual ports.

Machines are configured to power up on power restore, plus PXE boot.
You have less control than with IPMI -- all you can do is toggle power
to the outlet -- but it works well, even for some desktop machines I
have in a lab.

I don't have a compelling need, but I've often wondered if such a
driver would be useful. I can imagine it also being useful if people
want to power up non-compute stuff, though that's probably not a top
priority right now.

>1) We agreed that Ironic is that place where we can store hardware info
>('extra' field in node model). But many modern hardware configurations
>support hot pluggable hard drives, CPUs, and even memory. How Ironic will
>know that hardware configuration is changed? Does it need to know about
>hardware changes at all? Is it supposed that some monitoring agent (NOT
>ironic agent) will be used for that? But if we already have discovering
>extension in Ironic agent, then it sounds rational to use this extension
>for monitoring as well. Right?

How much hardware information do we intend to store in Ironic? (Note
that I'm genuinely asking this, not challenging your assertion.) It
seems reasonable, but I think there's a lot of hardware information
that could be useful (say, lspci output, per-processor flags, etc.),
but stuffing it all in extra[] seems kind of messy.

I don't have an overall answer for this question; I'm curious myself.

-- Matt