[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra][Ceilometer][MagnetoDB] HBase database in devstack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Apr 8 16:42:13 UTC 2014

I think it's important to understand what we mean by "stable" in the
gate. It means that the end point is 99.9999% available. And that it's
up or down status is largely under our control.

Things that are not stable by this definition which we've moved away
from for the gate:
 * github.com - one of the reasons for git.openstack.org
 * pypi.python.org - one of the reasons for our own pypi mirror
 * upstream distro mirrors (we use cloud specific mirrors, which even
then do fail some times, more than we'd like)

Fedora.org is not stable by this measure either. Downloading an iso from
fedora.org fails 5% of the time in the gate.

I'm sure the Hortonworks folks are good folks, but by our standards of
reliability, no one stacks up. And an outage on their behalf means that
any project which gates on it will be blocked from merging any code
until it's addressed. If Ceilometer wants to take that risk in their
check queue (and be potentially blocked) that might be one thing, and we
could talk about that. But we definitely can't co-gate and block all of
openstack because of a hortonworks outage (which will happen, especially
if we download packages from them 600 - 1000 times a day).

	-Sean