[openstack-dev] [oslo] use of the "oslo" namespace package

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 07:28:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-04-07 at 15:24 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> We can avoid adding to the problem by putting each new library in its
> own package. We still want the Oslo name attached for libraries that
> are really only meant to be used by OpenStack projects, and so we need
> a naming convention. I'm not entirely happy with the "crammed
> together" approach for oslotest and oslosphinx. At one point Dims and
> I talked about using a prefix "oslo_" instead of just "oslo", so we
> would have "oslo_db", "oslo_i18n", etc. That's also a bit ugly,
> though. Opinions?

Uggh :)

> Given the number of problems we have now (I help about 1 dev per week
> unbreak their system),

I've seen you do this - kudos on your patience.

>  I think we should also consider renaming the
> existing libraries to not use the namespace package. That isn't a
> trivial change, since it will mean updating every consumer as well as
> the packaging done by distros. If we do decide to move them, I will
> need someone to help put together a migration plan. Does anyone want
> to volunteer to work on that?

One thing to note for any migration plan on this - we should use a new
pip package name for the new version so people with e.g.

   oslo.config>=1.2.0

don't automatically get updated to a version which has the code in a
different place. You should need to change to e.g.

  osloconfig>=1.4.0

> Before we make any changes, it would be good to know how bad this
> problem still is. Do developers still see issues on clean systems, or
> are all of the problems related to updating devstack boxes? Are people
> figuring out how to fix or work around the situation on their own? Can
> we make devstack more aggressive about deleting oslo libraries before
> re-installing them? Are there other changes we can make that would be
> less invasive?

I don't have any great insight, but hope we can figure something out.
It's crazy to think that even though namespace packages appear to work
pretty well initially, it might end up being so unworkable we would need
to switch.

Mark.