[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Heat] TripleO Heat Templates and merge.py

Tomas Sedovic tsedovic at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 15:43:25 UTC 2014

On 06/04/14 23:27, Steve Baker wrote:
> On 05/04/14 04:47, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
>> Hi All,

<snip>

> The maintenance burden of merge.py can be gradually reduced if features
> in it can be deleted when they are no longer needed. At some point in
> this process merge.py will need to accept HOT templates, and risk of
> breakage during this changeover would be reduced the smaller merge.py is.
>
> How about this for the task order?
> 1. remove OpenStack::ImageBuilder::Elements support from merge.py
> 2. move to software-config based templates
> 3. remove the following from merge.py
>    3.1. merging params and resources
>    3.2. FileInclude
>    3.3. OpenStack::Role
> 4. port tripleo templates and merge.py to HOT
> 5. use some HOT replacement for Merge::Map, delete Merge::Map from tripleo
> 6. move to resource providers/scaling groups for scaling
> 7. rm -f merge.py

I like this.

Clint's already working on #2. I can tackle #1 and help review & test
the software config changes. We can deal with the rest afterwards.

One note on 3.1: until we switch to provider resources or get_file, we
can't drop the "merging params and resources" feature.

We can drop FileInclude, OpenStack::Role and deep merge (e.g. joining
`notCompute0Config` from `overcloud-source.yaml` and `swift-source.yaml`
example from my email), but we'll have to keep the functionality of
putting multiple templates together for a bit longer.

That said, I don't think switching to provider resources is going to be
a drastic change.