[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev][Nova][VMWare] Enable live migration with one nova compute

Jay Lau jay.lau.513 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 02:21:25 UTC 2014

Thanks Jay Pipes.

If go back to having a single nova-compute managing a single vCenter
cluster, then there might be problems in a large sacle vCenter cluster.
There are still problems that we can not handle:
1) The VCDriver can also manage multiple resource pools with a single nova
compute, the resource pool is another concept, we can create multiple
resource pools in one vCenter cluster or create multiple resource pools in
one ESX host. In a large scale cluster, there can be thousands of resource
pools, it would make the admin crazy for the configuration. ;-)
2) How to manage ESX host which not belong to any cluster or resource
pools? Such as following case:
DC

 |--- ESX host1

 |--- ESX host2

3) There is another bp
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vmware-auto-inventory filed by
Shawn, this bp want to report all resources including clusters, resource
pools, esx hosts, this bp can be treated as the base for VCDriver, as if
the VCDriver can get all resources, then it would be very easy to do what
we want.

Thanks!

> On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 13:30 +0800, Jay Lau wrote:

> >         On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 11:08 +0800, Jay Lau wrote:
> >         > Thanks Jay and Chris for the comments!
> >         >
> >         > @Jay Pipes, I think that we still need to enable "one nova
> >         compute
> >         > live migration" as one nova compute can manage multiple
> >         clusters and
> >         > VMs can be migrated between those clusters managed by one
> >         nova
> >         > compute.
> >

> >         Why, though? That is what I am asking... seems to me like this
> >         is an
> >         anti-feature. What benefit does the user get from moving an
> >         instance
> >         from one VCenter cluster to another VCenter cluster if the two
> >         clusters
> >         are on the same physical machine?
> > @Jay Pipes, for VMWare, one physical machine (ESX server) can only
> > belong to one VCenter cluster, so we may have following scenarios.
> >
> > DC
> >
> >  |---Cluster1
> >  |      |

> >  |      |---host1
> >
> >  |---Cluser2
> >
> >         |---host2
> >

> > Then when using VCDriver, I can use one nova compute manage both
> > Cluster1 and Cluster2, this caused me cannot migrate VM from host2 to
> > host1 ;-(
> >

> > The bp was introduced by
> >
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/multiple-clusters-managed-by-one-service
>
> Well, it seems to me that the problem is the above blueprint and the
> code it introduced. This is an anti-feature IMO, and probably the best
> solution would be to remove the above code and go back to having a
> single nova-compute managing a single vCenter cluster, not multiple
> ones.
>
> -jay

Jay