[openstack-dev] [Heat] [Murano] [Solum] applications in the cloud

Stan Lagun slagun at mirantis.com
Fri Apr 4 18:05:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> IMO that is not really true and trying to stick all these databases into
> one "SQL database" interface is not a use case I'm interested in
> pursuing.

Indeed. "Any SQL database" is a useless interface. What I was trying to say
is that some apps may work just on any MySQL while others require some
specific version or variation or even impose some constraints on license or
underlying operating system. One possible solution was to have some sort of
interface hierarchy for that. Even better solution would be that all such
properties be declared somewhere in HOT so that consumer could say not just
"I require MySQL-compatible template" but "I require MySQL-compatible
template with version >= 5.0 and clustered = True". Probably you can come
with better example for this. Though interface alone is a good starting
point.

So for instance there is the non-Neutron LBaaS and the Neutron LBaaS, and
> both have their
> merits for operators, but are basically identical from an application
> standpoint.

While conforming to the same interface from consumer's point of view
different load-balancers has many configuration options (template
parameters) and many of them are specific to particular implementation
(otherwise all of them be functionally equal). This need to be addressed
somehow.

Sincerely yours,
Stan Lagun
Principal Software Engineer @ Mirantis