[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Agent]

Ling Gao linggao at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 4 17:41:10 UTC 2014

>seems that this discussion is splitted in 2 threads
Lucas,
     That's because I added a subject when responded. :-)

Ling Gao

From:   Lucas Alvares Gomes <lucasagomes at gmail.com>
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
Date:   04/04/2014 01:16 PM
Subject:        Re: [openstack-dev] [Ironic][Agent]

There are lots of configuration management agents already out there (chef?
puppet? salt? ansible? ... the list is pretty long these days...) which
you can bake into the images that you deploy with Ironic, but I'd like to
be clear that, in my opinion, Ironic's responsibility ends where the host
OS begins. Ironic is a bare metal provisioning service, not a
configuration management service.

What you're suggesting is similar to saying, "we want to run an agent in
every KVM VM in our cloud," except most customers would clearly object to
this. The only difference here is that you (and tripleo) are the deployer
*and* the user of Ironic; that's a special case, but not the only use case
which Ironic is servicing.

+1 (already agreed with something similar in another thread[1], seems that
this discussion is splitted in 2 threads)

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-April/031896.html