[openstack-dev] [heat] Problems with software config and Heat standalone configurations

Michael Elder mdelder at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 4 14:09:05 UTC 2014

No problem.

Filed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1302578 for continued
discussion.

-M

________________________________
Kind Regards,

Michael D. Elder

STSM | Master Inventor
mdelder at us.ibm.com  | linkedin.com/in/mdelder

"Success is not delivering a feature; success is learning how to solve the
customer’s problem.” -Mark Cook

From:   Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com>
To:     openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Date:   04/03/2014 10:13 PM
Subject:        Re: [openstack-dev] [heat] Problems with software config
and Heat standalone configurations

On 04/04/14 14:26, Michael Elder wrote:
Hello,

While adopting the latest from the software configurations in Icehouse, we
discovered an issue with the new software configuration type and its
assumptions about using the heat client to perform behavior.

The change was introduced in:

commit 21f60b155e4b65396ebf77e05a0ef300e7c3c1cf
Author: Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com>
Change: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67621/

The net is that the software config type in software_config.py lines
147-152 relies on the heat client to create/clone software configuration
resources in the heat database:

    def handle_create(self):
        props = dict(self.properties)
        props[self.NAME] = self.physical_resource_name()

        sc = self.heat().software_configs.create(**props) ## HERE THE HEAT
CLIENT IS CREATING A NEW SOFTWARE_CONFIG TO MAKE EACH ONE IMMUTABLE
        self.resource_id_set(sc.id)

My concerns with this approach:

When used in standalone mode, the Heat engine receives headers which are
used to drive authentication (X-Auth-Url, X-Auth-User, X-Auth-Key, ..):

curl -i -X POST -H 'X-Auth-Key: password' -H 'Accept: application/json' -H
-H 'X-Auth-User: admin' -H 'User-Agent: python-heatclient' -d '{...}'
http://10.0.2.15:8004/v1/{tenant_id}

In this mode, the heat config file indicates standalone mode and can also
indicate multicloud support:

# /etc/heat/heat.conf
[paste_deploy]
flavor = standalone

[auth_password]
allowed_auth_uris = http://[host1]:5000/v2.0,http://[host2]:5000/v2.0
multi_cloud = true

Any keystone URL which is referenced is unaware of the orchestration
engine which is interacting with it. Herein lies the design flaw.
Its not so much a design flaw, its a bug where a new piece of code
interacts poorly with a mode that currently has few users and no
integration test coverage.

When software_config calls self.heat(), it resolves clients.py's heat
client:

    def heat(self):
        if self._heat:
            return self._heat

        con = self.context
        if self.auth_token is None:
            logger.error(_("Heat connection failed, no auth_token!"))
            return None
        # try the token
        args = {
                'auth_url': con.auth_url,
                'token': self.auth_token,
                'username': None,
                'password': None,
                'ca_file': self._get_client_option('heat', 'ca_file'),
                'cert_file': self._get_client_option('heat', 'cert_file'),

                'key_file': self._get_client_option('heat', 'key_file'),
                'insecure': self._get_client_option('heat', 'insecure')
         }

        endpoint_type = self._get_client_option('heat', 'endpoint_type')
        endpoint = self._get_heat_url()
        if not endpoint:
            endpoint = self.url_for(service_type='orchestration',
                                    endpoint_type=endpoint_type)
        self._heat = heatclient.Client('1', endpoint, **args)

        return self._heat

Here, an attempt to look up the orchestration URL (which is already
executing in the context of the heat engine) comes up wrong because
Keystone doesn't know about this remote standalone Heat engine.

If you look at self._get_heat_url() you'll see that the heat.conf
[clients_heat] url will be used for the heat endpoint if it is set. I
would recommend setting that for standalone mode. A devstack change for
HEAT_STANDALONE would be helpful here.

Further, at this point, the username and password are null, and when the
auth_password standza is applied in the config file, Heat will deny any
attempts at authorization which only provide a token. As I understand it
today, that's because it doesn't have individual keystone admin users for
all remote keystone services in the list of allowed_auth_urls. Hence, if
only provided with a token, I don't think the heat engine can validate the
token against the remote keystone.

One workaround that I've implemented locally is to change the logic to
check for standalone mode and send the username and password.

       flavor = 'default'
        try:
            logger.info("Configuration is %s" % str(cfg.CONF))
            flavor = cfg.CONF.paste_deploy.flavor
        except cfg.NoSuchOptError as nsoe:
            flavor = 'default'
        logger.info("Flavor is %s" % flavor)

        # We really should examine the pipeline to determine whether we're
using authtoken or authpassword.
        if flavor == 'standalone':

            context_map = self.context.to_dict()

            if 'username' in context_map.keys():
                username = context_map['username']
            else:
                username = None

            if 'password' in context_map.keys():
                password = context_map['password']
            else:
                password = None

            logger.info("Configuring username='%s' and password='%s'" %
(username, password))
            args = {
                'auth_url': con.auth_url,
                'token': None,
                'username': username,
                'password': password,
                'ca_file': self._get_client_option('heat', 'ca_file'),
                'cert_file': self._get_client_option('heat', 'cert_file'),

                'key_file': self._get_client_option('heat', 'key_file'),
                'insecure': self._get_client_option('heat', 'insecure')
            }
        else:
            if self.auth_token is None:
                logger.error(_("Heat connection failed, no auth_token!"))
                return None

Is this a known issue?
This is a great summary of the problem, but it really belongs in a
launchpad bug. Lets discuss potential solutions there.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+filebug

OpenStack-dev mailing list
OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org