[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hosts within two Availability Zones : possible or not ?

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 09:38:07 UTC 2014

> Hi all,

>  Hello folks,
>>
>>  Here is the bug [1] which is currently not allowing a host to be part
>> of two availability zones.
>> This bug was targeted for havana.
>>
>>  The fix in the bug was made because it was assumed
>> that openstack does not support adding hosts to two zones by design.
>>
>>  The assumption was based on the fact that ---
>> if hostX is added to zoneA as well as zoneB,
>> and if you boot a vm vmY passing zoneB in boot params,
>> nova show vmY still returns zoneA.
>>
>>  In my opinion, we should fix the case of nova show
>> rather than changing aggregate api to not allow addition of hosts to
>> multiple zones.
>>
>>  I have added my comments in comments #7 and #9 on that bug.
>>
>>  Thanks,
>> Meghal
>>

>  [1] Bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1196893
>>

> Thanks for the pointer, now I see why the API is preventing host to be
> added to a 2nd aggregated if there is a different AZ. Unfortunately, this
> patch missed the fact that aggregates metadata can be modified once the
> aggregate is created, so we should add a check when updating metadate in
> order to cover all corner cases.
>
> So, IMHO, it's worth providing a patch for API consistency so as we
> enforce the fact that a host should be in only one AZ (but possibly 2 or
> more aggregates) and see how we can propose to user ability to provide 2
> distincts AZs when booting.
>
> Does everyone agree ?

Well, I'm replying to myself. The corner case is even trickier. I missed
this patch [1] which already checks that when updating an aggregate to set
an AZ, its hosts are not already part of another AZ. So, indeed, the
coverage is already there... except for one thing :

If an operator is creating an aggregate with an AZ set to the default AZ
defined in nova.conf and adds an host to this aggregate, nova
availability-zone-list does show the host being part of this default AZ
(normal behaviour). If we create an aggregate 'foo' without AZ,  then we
add the same host to that aggregate, and then we update the metadata of the
aggregate to set an AZ 'foo', then the AZ check won't notice that the host
is already part of an AZ and will allow the host to be part of two distinct
AZs.

Proof here : http://paste.openstack.org/show/75066/

I'm on that bug.
-Sylvain