[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hosts within two Availability Zones : possible or not ?

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 16:05:22 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

> Currently host aggregates are quite general, but the only ways for an
> end-user to make use of them are:
>
> 1) By making the host aggregate an availability zones (where each host
> is only supposed to be in one availability zone) and selecting it at
> instance creation time.
>
> 2) By booting the instance using a flavor with appropriate metadata
> (which can only be set up by admin).
>

> I would like to see more flexibility available to the end-user, so I
> think we should either:
>
> A) Allow hosts to be part of more than one availability zone (and allow
> selection of multiple availability zones when booting an instance), or

While changing to allow hosts to be in multiple AZs changes the concept from an operator/user point of view I do think the idea of being able to specify multiple AZs when booting an instance makes sense and would be a nice enhancement for users working with multi-AZ environments - "I'm OK with this instance running in AZ1 and AZ2, but not AZ*".

-Steve