[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Load balancing use cases. Data from Operators needed.

Stephen Balukoff sbalukoff at bluebox.net
Thu Apr 3 00:12:41 UTC 2014

Hi y'all--

Looking at the data in the page already, it looks more like a feature
wishlist than actual usage data. I thought we agreed to provide data based
on percentage usage of a given feature, the end result of the data
collection being that it would become more obvious which features are the
most relevant to the most users, and therefore are more worthwhile targets
for software development.

Specifically, I was expecting to see something like the following (using
hypothetical numbers of course, and where technical people from "Company A"
& etc. fill out the data for their organization):

== L7 features ==

"Company A" (Cloud operator serving external customers): 56% of
load-balancer instances use
"Company B" (Cloud operator serving external customers): 92% of
load-balancer instances use
"Company C" (Fortune 100 company serving internal customers): 0% of
load-balancer instances use

== SSL termination ==

"Company A" (Cloud operator serving external customers): 95% of
load-balancer instances use
"Company B" (Cloud operator serving external customers): 20% of
load-balancer instances use
"Company C" (Fortune 100 company serving internal customers): 50% of
load-balancer instances use.

== Racing stripes ==

"Company A" (Cloud operator serving external customers): 100% of
load-balancer instances use
"Company B" (Cloud operator serving external customers): 100% of
load-balancer instances use
"Company C" (Fortune 100 company serving internal customers): 100% of
load-balancer instances use

In my mind, a wish-list of features is only going to be relevant to this
discussion if (after we agree on what the items under consideration ought
to be) each technical representative presents a prioritized list for their
organization. :/ A wish-list is great for brain-storming what ought to be
added, but is less relevant for prioritization.

In light of last week's meeting, it seems useful to list the features most
recently discussed in that meeting and on the mailing list as being points
on which we want to gather actual usage data (ie. from what people are
actually using on the load balancers in their organization right now).
Should we start a new page that lists actual usage percentages, or just
re-vamp the one above?  (After all, wish-list can be useful for discovering
things we're missing, especially if we get people new to the discussion to
add their $0.02.)

Thanks,
Stephen

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Jorge Miramontes <
jorge.miramontes at rackspace.com> wrote:

>   Thanks Eugene,
>
>  I added our data onto the requirements page since I was hoping to
> prioritize requirements based on the operator data that gets provided. We
> can move it over to the other page if you think that makes sense. See
> everyone on the weekly meeting tomorrow!
>
>  Cheers,
> --Jorge
>
>   From: Susanne Balle <sleipnir012 at gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 4:09 PM
> openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Load balancing use cases.
> Data from Operators needed.
>
>   I added two more. I am still working on our HA use cases. Susanne
>

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:
>
>>  I added our priorities. I hope its formatted well enough. I just took a
>> stab in the dark.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kevin
>> *Subject:* [openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Load balancing use cases.
>> Data from Operators needed.
>>
>>    Hi folks,
>>
>>  On the last meeting we decided to collect usage data so we could
>> prioritize features and see what is demanded most.
>>
>>  Here's the blank page to do that (in a free form). I'll structure it
>> once we have some data.
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/LBaaS/Usecases
>>
>>  Please fill with the data you have.
>>
>>  Thanks,