[openstack-dev] Missleading and hardly parseable default neutron config files

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Apr 2 10:12:21 UTC 2014

Hi,

The default neutron configuration files aren't useable by default. So,
I'm heavily patching them in my Debian package. This isn't an idea
situation already, especially that I have to rebase my patch on each
(pre-)release. Though here, if I'm not mistaking, we're having a
completely *wrong* example as a comment. From the default neutron.conf:

# Example: service_plugins = router,firewall,lbaas,vpnaas,metering

AFAIU, "router" and "firewall" aren't valid values (they make
neutron-db-manage crash dump for example), and we should use instead
something like:

service_plugins = l3_router,fwaas,lbaas,vpnaas,metering

Am I mistaking? If no, then how come neutron.conf advertizes for
non-working directive values?

Also, and it's been like this for quite long: what Neutron ships as
configuration file isn't parseable in a satisfying way. For example,
everywhere in the files, we have things like this:

# Example:
# connection = mysql://root:pass@127.0.0.1:3306/neutron
# Replace 127.0.0.1 above with the IP address of the database used
# by the main neutron server. (Leave it as is if the database runs
# on this host.)
# connection = sqlite://

(above comments rewraped to make it fit in this message)

How exactly a script is supposed to make the difference between the 2
commented-out "connection" directives? They both look like occurrences
of the same directives, and there's no way to distinguish the first one
(and example) from the 2nd one (a commented out directive). Could we
instead use something like this instead?

-# Example:
-# connection = mysql://root:pass@127.0.0.1:3306/neutron
+# Example: connection = mysql://root:pass@127.0.0.1:3306/neutron

It'd be nice if these changes could make it to the Icehouse release.

Thoughts anyone?
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)