[openstack-dev] [Murano] MuranoPL => UML visualization <- best implementation practices?

Timur Sufiev tsufiev at mirantis.com
Tue Apr 1 18:34:24 UTC 2014

Hello!

Recently we've made an attempt to make MuranoPL class definitions more
conceivable for everyone, and decided to use UML diagrams for that
purpose. The most obvious (and quick) solution was to use a well-known
tool [1], the command-line script which uses it is almost ready [2],
and the final result seems quite satisfying to us [3] (pictures are
drawn using current version of script). Moreover, we liked these
diagrams so much that decided to show them also in Murano's WebUI
(right after the uploaded App Package has been validated).

But we're little uncertain about using Java-based tool in the long
run: it doesn't seem to fit very well with OpenStack common practices.
So could you advice some good enough Python and/or Javascript library
for generating UML diagrams? The most important criteria is an ability
to produce graphics as beautiful as Plant UML does.

[1] http://plantuml.sourceforge.net/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/83348/
[3] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pesyejyjo624o34/fCe1_OM-OH#lh:null-io.murano.Environment.png

--