[openstack-dev] [marconi] [macaroni] Proposal: change name of Marconi to Macaroni

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 18:05:57 UTC 2014

On 01/04/14 13:19 -0400, Solly Ross wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>As OpenStack Marconi grows, I think it's time we addressed the question on everyone's mind:
>why isn't the project called OpenStack Macaroni?
>
>There are several compelling reasons to change Marconi's name to Macaroni:
>
>1. Macaroni, being tube-shaped, exemplify the concept of connecting various services such
>   that messages (cheese sauce) can flow between them.  Remember, the internet is in fact
>   a series of tubes.
>
>2. Everyone reads the name as Macaroni the first time they see it, anyway.
>
>3. Everyone knows what Macaroni are, while many people do not know who Marconi is.
>   People unable to access Wikipedia in a timely manner will greatly benefit from
>   the name change, since they will be able to instantly recognize what Marconi/Macaroni
>   provides to the OpenStack project (see #1).

I think there may be some trademark issues with the proposed name.

>4. Only robots dislike Macaroni and Cheese.  Therefore, by holding a vote, we can
>   identify who is, in fact, a robot, and summarily destroy them before they are
>   able to orchestrate a SkyNet-inspired uprising.

1 issue here. I've been told I'm a robot. In fact, I don't even like
Cheese. So, -1 from me. But thanks for announcing your destruction
plan in the mailing-list. This gives use enough material to prepare
ourself or attack before you humans do.

>Therefore, in the name of clarity, hilarity, and the prevention of robot apocalypses,
>I call for a vote to change the name of the OpenStack Marconi project
>to OpenStack Macaroni.  The vote should probably be held after OpenStack Summit,
>so that we can discuss the potential name change in a Summit session.

... We'll see... We'll see...

Flavio.

--
@flaper87