[openstack-dev] [horizon] ./run_tests.sh issues on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Kieran Spear kispear at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 02:03:35 UTC 2013

Hi Neil,

On 26 September 2013 11:13, Neil Zhao <neilchiao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> I'm new to openstack, and I followed the Quick Start at :
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/quickstart.html
>
> I thought the Horizon ./run_tests.sh should run successfully since I'm using
> the popular Ubuntu.  And after the script finished, I'll have a out-of-box
> env to run Horizon, but I was wrong.
>
> I found issues, and have to fix them manually with: sudo apt-get install
> xxx.
>
> I've noted some of them as following, I think somebody should test the
> script more, :)
>

> 1) I think the following dependencies should be added/checked in the script:
> python2.7-dev
> libxml2-dev
> libxslt1-dev
>
> 2) And the script should be ran as root/sudoers?   As it'll do something in
> my /usr/lib/python2.7/ directory.

The script creates a virtualenv in .venv and installs all the python
dependencies there. They're not available system-wide.

Running anything as root is out of scope for run_tests.sh, but we
should definitely list the required C libraries somewhere in the
documentation like Nova does:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/devref/development.environment.html#linux-systems

> BTW, should I file some bug for these?  And how?

Please do:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+filebug

...you're welcome to fix it too :)

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/How_To_Contribute