[openstack-dev] [heat] [scheduler] Bringing things together for Icehouse

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 24 03:31:32 UTC 2013

I was not trying to raise issues of geographic dispersion and other higher
level structures, I think the issues I am trying to raise are relevant
even without them.  This is not to deny the importance, or relevance, of
higher levels of structure.  But I would like to first respond to the
discussion that I think is relevant even without them.

I think it is valuable for OpenStack to have a place for holistic
infrastructure scheduling.  I am not the only one to argue for this, but I
will give some use cases.  Consider Hadoop, which stresses the path
between Compute and Block Storage.  In the usual way of deploying and
configuring Hadoop, you want each data node to be using directly attached
storage.  You could address this by scheduling one of those two services
first, and then the second with constraints from the first --- but the
decisions made by the first could paint the second into a corner.  It is
better to be able to schedule both jointly.  Also consider another
approach to Hadoop, in which the block storage is provided by a bank of
storage appliances that is equidistant (in networking terms) from all the
Compute.  In this case the Storage and Compute scheduling decisions have
no strong interaction --- but the Compute scheduling can interact with the
network (you do not want to place Compute in a way that overloads part of
the network).

Once a holistic infrastructure scheduler has made its decisions, there is
then a need for infrastructure orchestration.  The infrastructure
orchestration function is logically downstream from holistic scheduling. I
do not favor creating a new and alternate way of doing infrastructure
orchestration in this position.  Rather I think it makes sense to use
essentially today's heat engine.

Today Heat is the only thing that takes a holistic view of
patterns/topologies/templates, and there are various pressures to expand
the mission of Heat.  A marquee expansion is to take on software
orchestration.  I think holistic infrastructure scheduling should be
downstream from the preparatory stage of software orchestration (the other
stage of software orchestration is the run-time action in and supporting
the resources themselves).  There are other pressures to expand the
mission of Heat too.  This leads to conflicting usages for the word
"heat": it can mean the infrastructure orchestration function that is the
main job of today's heat engine, or it can mean the full expanded mission
(whatever you think that should be).  I have been mainly using "heat" in
that latter sense, but I do not really want to argue over naming of bits
and assemblies of functionality.  Call them whatever you want.  I am more
interested in getting a useful arrangement of functionality.  I have
updated my picture at
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Y_yyIpql5_cdC8116XrBHzn6GfP_g0NHTTG_W4o0R9U
--- do you agree that the arrangement of functionality makes sense?

Thanks,
Mike