[openstack-dev] On the usage of pip vs. setup.py install

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Sep 24 01:44:10 UTC 2013

tl;dr - easy_install sucks, so use pip

It is common practice in python to run:

python setup.py install
or
python setup.py develop

So much so that we spend a giant amount of effort to make sure that
those always work.

Fortunately for us, the underlying mechanism, setuptools, can often be a
pile of monkies. pip, while also with its fair share of issues, _is_ a
bit better at navigating the shallow waters at times. SO - I'd like to
suggest:

Instead of:

"python setup.py install"

Run:

"pip install ."

It should have the exact same result, but pip can succeed in some places
where setup.py install directly can fail.

Also, if you'd like to run python setup.py develop, simply run:

"pip install -e ."

Which you may not have known will run setup.py develop behind the scenes.

Things this will help with:
- world peace
- requirements processing
- global hunger
- the plague

Enjoy.

Monty

PS. The other should work. It's just sometimes it doesn't, and when it
doesn't it's less my fault.