[openstack-dev] Oslo PTL election

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 00:27:16 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 02:37 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey
>
> I meant to send this as soon as nominations opened - I figure that
> incumbent PTLs should make it clear if they don't intend to nominate
> themselves for re-election.
>
> To that end - I'm not going to put myself forward for election as Oslo
> PTL this time around. This is purely based on a gut instinct that doing
> so will actually be better for Oslo. I still care a great deal about
> Oslo's mission and will continue to work on Oslo in Icehouse, e.g. doing
> reviews and getting the oslo.messaging work over the line.
>
> I think the legacy of cut-and-paste code across OpenStack is a serious
> threat to OpenStack's future progress and tackling it effectively is
> going to require the help of many more of the core developers from other
> projects. I'm hoping that by not being PTL, there'll be more space for
> others to jump in and help drive Oslo's direction with new ideas and new
> approaches.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

Knowing your commitment to Open Stack, I don't feel any need to say
"Sorry to see you go" as I know this means just an adjustment of focus
for you.

What if we said that all core developers on other projects were
considered core developers on Oslo?  In other words, all of OpenStack
has a vested interest in code review of the common components.  Would
this encourage more reviews in Oslo?  Or, would it hurt the overall
quality of the Oslo code base?  It would certainly broaden the pool of
developers, but there would be a need to level set the coding standards.

Another approach would be that each of the major projects "adopts" a
subset of Oslo functionality.  For example, Keystone could claim
responsibility for revewing Crypto and Policy changes.  I realize that
Oslo already has a way of identifying developers that can review subsets
of the code, but this would mean that core projects would collectively
have more responsiblity and ownership of the Oslo libraries.