[openstack-dev] [Oslo] PTL Candidacy

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Sat Sep 21 13:16:04 UTC 2013

I am running for PTL for the OpenStack Common Libraries (Oslo) project.

I have been programming in Python professionally for 15 years, in a variety
of application areas. I am a member of the Python Software Foundation, have
been on the PyCon Program Committee, and was Editor in Chief of Python
Magazine. I am currently a Senior Developer at DreamHost, and the dev lead
for our DreamCompute OpenStack-based public cloud project.
I started working on OpenStack just before the Folsom summit. I am a core
reviewer and one of the founding members of the Ceilometer project, and a
core reviewer for the requirements and unified command line interface
projects. I am also on the stable release maintenance team for grizzly and
am part of the team working on the Python 3 transition. I have contributed
to many of the OpenStack projects through code and reviews.
I joined the Oslo team at the Folsom summit, not long after starting to
work on OpenStack. During the havana cycle, I contributed to Oslo in
several ways. I was active in the design of the new oslo.messaging library,
which will eventually replace openstack.common.rpc. I worked to deprecate
openstack.common.wsgi in favor of Pecan/WSME, with the goal of making it
easier to create new API services. I started updating the way projects load
plugins using stevedore. I also created the oslo.sphinx library to hold our
documentation theme and tools, and contributed to our new packaging library
(pbr).
Pecan and WSME are both now stackforge projects, so it is easier for us to
contribute to and maintain them. During Icehouse, I plan to move stevedore,
cliff, and sphinxcontrib-pecanwsme onto stackforge for the same reason.
My philosophy for Oslo is similar to Mark's, although I may lean more in
the direction of creating loosley-coupled libraries that are usable outside
of OpenStack as much as possible (e.g., cliff and stevedore). We depend on
a lot of other developers, and I would like for us to be releasing code in
a way that other projects can use it, where it makes sense for us to do so.
The Oslo team is making excellent progress moving code out of the
oslo-incubator repository to separate libraries, but we still have a lot of
work to do. My goal for Icehouse is to have oslo.messaging adopted by two
or more integrated projects and continue to graduate more code from the
incubator. oslo.messaging just missed being adopted by nova and ceilometer
during havana, so it makes sense for us to finish that work after the
feature freeze is lifted. During the summit we should discuss which parts
of the incubated code are ready to move into separate libraries, and set
our priorities based on stability and utility.
My commit history:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:doug.hellmann%2540dreamhost.com,n,z
My review history:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/reviewer:doug.hellmann%2540dreamhost.com,n,z
I'm looking forward to continuing to work with everyone,Doug