[openstack-dev] [glance] FFE Request: Add swift_store_ssl_compression param

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Sep 9 15:29:16 UTC 2013

stuart.mclaren at hp.com wrote:
> This change:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/32919/
>
> is the final piece of a puzzle that allows a (potentially significant)
> performance improvement for image uploads (snapshots)/downloads when
> using ssl.

I guess that's why I like puzzles being targeted to the second milestone
in the cycle... deferring those is painful.

> Without this patch swift will be a bottleneck running at ~17 MB/s while
> the other parts can potentially reach ~100 MB/s.
>
> Risk: Currently the patch sets compression to be disabled by default
> (giving better performance), but the old behaviour can be reverted
> by setting the relevant config parameter. (We could even potentially
> consider defaulting to the old behaviour.)

At this stage of the cycle, I would definitely consider defaulting to
the old behavior for Havana, and then this exception would be a
no-brainer. With the proposed default, I have to ask how much mileage
the "SSL without compression" swift mode has seen, and the risk is
substantially higher.

> The patch was originally uploaded on Jun 13.

Yes, but it was WIP-ed for two months waiting for the necessary support
to land in Swift...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)