[openstack-dev] [Nova] FFE Request: oslo-messaging

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Sep 6 08:59:51 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> I'd like to request a feature freeze exception for the final (and
> admittedly the largest) patch in the series of 40 patches to port Nova
> to oslo.messaging:
>
>   https://review.openstack.org/39929

I'm generally adverse to granting feature freeze exceptions to code
refactoring: the user benefit of having them in the release is
inexistent, while they introduce some risk by changing deep code
relatively late in the cycle. That's why I prefer those to be targeted
to earlier development milestones, this avoids having to make hard calls
once all the work is done and almost completed.

That said, if the risk is under control and the patch is ready to merge,
I'm fine with this as long as there is some other benefits in having it
*in* the release rather than landed first thing in icehouse.

Would having it *in* the release facilitate stable/havana branch
maintenance, for example ?

> While this change doesn't provide any immediate user-visible benefit, it
> would be massively helpful in maintaining momentum behind the effort all
> through the Havana cycle to move the RPC code from oslo-incubator into a
> library.

Could you expand on why this would be a lot more helpful to have it in
the release rather than early in icehouse ?

And to have all cards on the table, how much sense would the alternative
make (i.e. not land this final patch while a lot of this feature code
has already been merged) ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)