[openstack-dev] [Nova] FFE Request: oslo-messaging

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Sep 5 15:51:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 11:00 -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 09/05/2013 10:17 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'd like to request a feature freeze exception for the final (and
> > admittedly the largest) patch in the series of 40 patches to port Nova
> > to oslo.messaging:
> >
> >   https://review.openstack.org/39929
> >
> > While this change doesn't provide any immediate user-visible benefit, it
> > would be massively helpful in maintaining momentum behind the effort all
> > through the Havana cycle to move the RPC code from oslo-incubator into a
> > library.
> >
> > In terms of risk of regression, there is certainly some risk but that
> > risk is mitigated by the fact that the core code of each of the
> > transport drivers has been modified minimally. The idea was to delay
> > re-factoring these drivers until we were sure that we hadn't caused any
> > regressions in Nova. The code has been happily passing the
> > devstack/tempest based integration tests for 10 days now.
>
> When do you expect major refactoring to happen in oslo.messaging?  I get
> that the current code was minimally modified, but I just want to
> understand how the timelines line up with the release and ongoing
> maintenance of the Havana release.

Yep, good question.

AFAIR we discussed this at the last Oslo IRC meeting and decided that
re-factoring will wait until Icehouse so we can more easily sync fixes
from oslo-incubator to oslo.messaging.

Porting Quantum, Cinder, Ceilometer and Heat, memoving the code from
oslo-incubator and re-factoring the drivers in oslo.messaging would be
goals for early on in the Icehouse cycle.

Cheers,
Mark.