[openstack-dev] Does DB schema hygiene warrant long migrations?

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Thu Oct 24 22:53:31 UTC 2013

Michael,

>> - pruning isn't done by the system automatically, so we have to assume
it never happens

We are working around it
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-purge-engine

>>  - we need to have a clearer consensus about what we think the maximum
>> size of a nova deployment is. Are we really saying we don't support
>> nova installs with a million instances? If so what is the maximum
>> number of instances we're targeting? Having a top level size in mind
>> isn't a bad thing, but I don't think we have one at the moment that we
>> all agree on. Until that happens I'm going to continue targeting the
>> largest databases people have told me about (plus a fudge factor).

Rally https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Rally should help us to determine
this.

At this moment I can just use theoretical knowledges.
(and they said even 1mln instances in current nova implementation won't
work)

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic