[openstack-dev] [Trove] Testing of new service types support

Illia Khudoshyn ikhudoshyn at mirantis.com
Mon Oct 21 20:28:32 UTC 2013

Michael, Tim,

Nice to see you, guys, agreed. But what should I do now? Dive into
trove-integration? I guess there will be no use of mocked tests, coz I
haven't actually written a single line of server side code. All the fun is
in guest agent.

Thanks

>> For the api stuff, sure thats fine. i just think the overall coverage of
> the review will be quite low if we are only testing the API via fake code.
>
> We're in agreement here, I think. I will say though that if the people
> working on Mongo want to test it early, and go beyond simply using the
> client to manually confirm stuff, it should be possible to run the existing
> tests by building a different image and running a subset, such as
> "--group=dbaas.guest.shutdown". IIRC those tests don't do much other than
> make an instance, see it turn to ACTIVE, and delete it. It would be a
> worthwhile spot test to see if it adheres to the bare-minimum Trove API.

> On Oct 21, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Tim Simpson wrote:
>
> > Can't we say that about nearly any feature though? In theory we could
> put a hold on any tests for feature work saying it
> > will need to be redone when Tempest integrated is finished.
> >
> > Keep in mind what I'm suggesting here is a fairly trivial change to get
> some validation via the existing fake mode / integration tests at a fairly
> small cost.
>
> Of course we can do the old tests. And for this it might be the best
> thing. The problem i see is that we cant do real integration tests w/o this
> work, and i dont want to integrate a bunch of different service_types w/o
> tests that actually spin them up and run the guest, which is where 80% of
> the "new" code lives for a new service_type. Otherwise we are running
> fake-guest stuff that is not a good representation.
>
> For the api stuff, sure thats fine. i just think the overall coverage of
> the review will be quite low if we are only testing the API via fake code.

Best regards,

Illia Khudoshyn,
Software Engineer, Mirantis, Inc.

38, Lenina ave. Kharkov, Ukraine