[openstack-dev] Announce of Rally - benchmarking system for OpenStack

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 16:57:31 UTC 2013

On 10/18/2013 12:17 PM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
> John,
>
> Actually seems like a pretty good suggestion IMO, at least something
> worth some investigation and consideration before quickly discounting
> it.  Rather than "that's not what tempest is", maybe it's something
> tempest "could do".  Don't know, not saying one way or the other, just
> wondering if it's worth some investigation or thought.
>

> These investigations I made before start working around Rally. It was
> about 3 months ago.
> It is not "quickly discounting" I didn't have yesterday time to make
> long response, so I will write it today:
>
> I really don't like to make a copy of another projects, so I tried to
> reuse all projects & libs that we already have.
>
> To explain why we shouldn't merge Rally & Tempest in one project (and
> should keep both)  we should analyze their use cases.
>

> 1. DevStack - one "click" and get your OpenStack cloud from sources
>
> 2. Tempest - one "click" and get your OpenStack Cloud verified
>
> Both of these projects are great, because they are very useful and
> solve complicated tasks without "pain" for end user. (and I like them)
>
> 3. Rally is also one "click" system that solve OpenStack benchmarking.
>
> To clarify situation. We should analyze what I mean by one "click"
> benchmarking and what are the use cases.
>
> Use Cases:
> 1. Investigate how deployments influence on OS performance (find the
> set of good OpenStack deployment architectures)
> 2. Automatically get numbers & profiling info about how your changes
> influence on OS performance
> 3. Using Rally profiler detect scale & performance issues.
> Like here when we are trying to delete 3 VMs by one request they are
> deleted one by one because of DB lock on quotas table
> http://37.58.79.43:8080/traces/0011f252c9d98e31
> 4. Determine maximal load that could handle production cloud
>
> To cover these cases we should actually test OpenStack deployments
> making simultaneously OpenStack API calls.
>
> So to get results we have to:
> 1. Deploy OpenStack cloud somewhere. (Or get existing cloud)
> 2. Verify It
> 3. Run Benchmarks
> 4. Collect all results & present it in human readable form.
>

> The goal of Rally was designed to automate these steps:
> 1.a Use existing cloud.
> 1.b.1 Automatically get (virtual) Servers from (soft layer, Amazon,
> RackSpace or you private public cloud, or OpenStack cloud)
> 1.b.2 DeployOpenStack on these servers from source (using Devstack,
> Anvli, Fuel or TrippleO...).
> 1.b.3 Patch this OpenStack with tomograph to get profiling information
> (I hope we will merge these patches into upstream).
> 2. Using tempest verify this cloud (we are going to switch from
> fuel-ostf-tests)
> 3. Run specified parametrized (to be able to make different load)
> benchmark scenarios
> 4. Collect all information about execution & present it in human
> [...]
Thanks, Boris. This is really great. I took a look and there is a lot of
similarity between the tempest stress framework and the rally benchmark
driver and some code could be shared. But that code is only a very small
part of each of these projects and IMO there is no reason to try and
integrate the two more deeply. Rally will be beneficial to the OpenStack
QA community which needs to grow beyond "OpenStackQA == tempest".

  -David