[openstack-dev] [tripleo] RFC: Freeze deps versions in requirements

Petr Blaho pblaho at redhat.com
Thu Oct 17 12:12:45 UTC 2013

Hi all,

this is probably 3rd or 4th time in quite short time when we were bitten
by new version of some out dependencies.

Last one (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/52327/3) was about WSME
released version 0.5b6 and our tests fail.

I do not want to argue if problem is on tuskar side (probably tuskar is
to blame according to what jistr found out) or WSME but I think
we should discuss possibility of freezing versions in our dependencies
definitions and once in a time check for new versions of deps and do
update as a separate task.

Current state of having open version constraints like WSME<=0.5b5 leads
to occasional (or as I see quite frequent) jenkins job failures (as jenkins
use clean venv for instalation - devs can have older one so they can
miss failure with new version of dep) and these "sudden" failures force
us to investigate and divert from planned tasks etc...

I think that having regular "update deps" task can lead to better time
management and having less "sudden" jenkins failures will be benefical
to developers' health :-)

Please, tell me if I am missing some obvious problem with freezing dep
versions and/or regular update task and if I miss a good side of these
"sudden version strikes" too.

Thanks

Petr Blaho, pblaho at redhat.com
Software Engineer