[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Reviews: tweaking priorities, and continual-deployment approvals

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Oct 16 00:22:26 UTC 2013

Hi, during the TripleO meeting today we had two distinct discussions
about reviews.

Firstly, our stats have been slipping:
http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/tripleo-openreviews.html

Stats since the last revision without -1 or -2 (ignoring jenkins):

Average wait time: 2 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes
1rd quartile wait time: 0 days, 11 hours, 1 minutes
Median wait time: 1 days, 9 hours, 37 minutes
3rd quartile wait time: 5 days, 1 hours, 50 minutes

Longest waiting reviews (based on oldest rev without nack, ignoring jenkins):

7 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes https://review.openstack.org/50010 (Fix a
couple of default config values)
7 days, 4 hours, 21 minutes https://review.openstack.org/50199
(Utilizie pypi-mirror from tripleo-cd)
6 days, 2 hours, 28 minutes https://review.openstack.org/50431 (Make
pypi-mirror more secure and robust)
6 days, 1 hours, 36 minutes https://review.openstack.org/50750 (Remove
obsolete redhat-eventlet.patch)
5 days, 1 hours, 50 minutes https://review.openstack.org/51032
(Updated from global requirements)

This is holding everyone up, so we want to fix it. When we discussed
it we found that there were two distinct issues:
 A - not enough cross-project reviews
 B - folk working on the kanban TripleO Continuous deployment stuff
had backed off on reviews - and they are among the most prolific
reviewers.

A: Cross project reviews are super important: even if you are only
really interested in (say) os-*-config, it's hard to think about
things in context unless you're also up to date with changing code
(and the design of code) in the rest of TripleO. *It doesn't matter*
if you aren't confident enough to do a +2 - the only way you get that
confidence is by reviewing and reading code so you can come up to
speed, and the only way we increase our team bandwidth is through folk
doing that in a consistent fashion.

So please, whether your focus is Python APIs, UI, or system plumbing
in the heart of diskiamge-builder, please take the time to review
systematically across all the projects:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TripleO#Review_team

B: While the progress we're making on delivering a production cloud is
hugely cool, we need to keep our other responsibilities in check -
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TripleO#Team_responsibilities - is a
new section I've added based on the meeting. Even folk working on the
pointy end of the continuous delivery story need to keep pulling on
the common responsibilities. We said in the meeting that we might
triage it as follows:
 - review reviews for firedrills first. (Critical bugs, things
breaking the CD cloud)
 - review reviews for the CD cloud
 - then all reviews for the program
with a goal of driving them all to 0: if we're on top of things, that
should never be a burden. If we run out of time, we'll have unblocked
critical things first, unblocked folk working on the pointy edge
second - bottlenecks are important to unblock. We'll review how this
looks next week.

# The second thing

The second issue was raised during the retrospective (which will be up
at https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TripleO/TripleOCloud/MVP1and2Retrospective
a little later today. With a production environment, we want to ensure
that only released code is running on it - running something from a
pending review is something to avoid. But, the only way we've been
able to effectively pull things together has been to run ahead of
reviews :(. A big chunk of that is due to a lack of active +2
reviewers collaborating with the CD cloud folk - we would get a -core
putting a patch up, and a +2, but no second +2. We decided in the
retrospective to try permitting -core to +2 their own patch if it's
straightforward and part of the current CD story [or a firedrill]. We
set an explicit 'but be sure you tested this first' criteria on that :
so folk might try it locally, or even monkey patch it onto the cloud
for one run to check it really works [until we have gating on the CD
story/ies].

Cheers,
Rob

--