[openstack-dev] Incubation Request for OpenStack UX

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Oct 14 09:00:16 UTC 2013

Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> Dear Technical Committee Members and OpenStack Community,
>
> after previous brainstorming, suggestions and discussions in community,
> we came out with OpenStack User Experience incubation proposal [0] and
> by this e-mail we would like to officially apply for incubation. The
> official application is available at OpenStack wiki:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/UX/Incubation

"Incubation" is a process for an project to become part of the
deliverables that are shipped as the common "OpenStack release" every 6
months:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/NewProjects

If I read your application correctly, what you want is to become a new
"Program" (like "QA" or "Documentation"). The process to follow here is
not "incubation" but applying to become a new program:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/NewPrograms

The first process is for projects, the second process is for teams.

> We are aware of the fact that there are ongoing TC elections, so we need
> to wait for new TC to take place.

Right, whatever the process followed we probably won't be considering it
until after the Design Summit (during which the first informal TC
gathering will be held).

> If it would be all possible, I would like to ask for one extra slot at
> Icehouse Design Summit, so we can talk about UX of OpenStack, get in
> touch with all OpenStack projects at once and figure out the best way
> for our cooperation.

It's a bit difficult because our resources are limited and we have to
draw the line in the sand somewhere... giving a slot to one prospective
program and not another would be playing favorites.

You can get "invited" in slots allocated to another program, though
(Horizon?) to discuss UX in general and the opportunity to make it a
separate program from Horizon and TripleO.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)