[openstack-dev] [Hyper-V] Havana status

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 16:56:27 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Alessandro Pilotti <
apilotti at cloudbasesolutions.com> wrote:

> [...]
> implications for the overall quality and maintainability of a project as
> complicated as Nova if everyone only stays in their comfortable corner.
> >
> > Also, from my experience in Nova, code contributions written by people
> that aren't regularly reviewing outside of their corner of the world are
> demonstrably lower quality than those who are. Reviewing code outside your
> specific area is also educational, gets you familiar with norms and idioms
> beyond what simple style checking handles, and makes you a better developer.
>

> There's IMO a practical contradiction here: most people contribute code
> and do reviews on partitioned areas of OpenStack only. For example, Nova
> devs rarely commit on Neutron, so you can say that for a Nova dev the
> "confort zone" is Nova, but by your description, a fair amount of time
> should be spent in reviewing and learning all the OpenStack projects code,
> unless you want to limit the scope of this discussion to Nova, which does
> not make much sense when you work on a whole technology layer like in our
> case.
>
> On the contrary, as an example, our job as driver/plugin/agent mantainers
> brings us in contact will all the major projects codebases, with the result
> that we are learning a lot from each of them. Beside that, obviously a
> driver/plugin/agent dev spends normally time learning how similar solutions
> are implemented for other technologies already in the tree, which leads to
> further improvement in the code due to the same knowledge sharing that you
> are referring to.
>

> > We need to all be caring about the whole. That culture is what makes
> OpenStack long term sustainable, and there is a reason that it is behavior
> that's rewarded with more folks looking at your proposed patches. When
> people only care about their corner world, and don't put in hours on
> keeping things whole, they balkanize and fragment.
> >
> > Review bandwidth, and people working on core issues, are our most
> constrained resources. If teams feel they don't need to contribute there,
> because it doesn't directly affect their code, we end up with this -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
> >

> This reminds me about how peer to peer sharing technologies work. Why
> don't we put some ratios, for example for each commit that a dev does at
> least 2-3 reviews of other people's code are required? Enforcing it
> wouldn't be that complicated. The negative part is that it might lead to
> low quality or fake reviews, but at least it could be easy to outline in
> the stats.
>
> One thing is sure: review bandwidth is the obvious bottleneck in today's
> OpenStack status. If we don't find a reasonably quick solution, the more
> OpenStack grows, the more complicated it will become, leading to even worse
> response times in merging bug fixes and limiting the new features that each
> new version can bring, which is IMO the negation of what a vital and

Yes, review bandwidth is a bottleneck, and although there are some
organizational changes that may help at the risk of changing our entire
review process and culture (which perhaps we should consider?).  The
easiest solution is for everyone to do more reviews. For just one review a
day you can make the whole project much stronger.  Complaining about the
review bandwidth issue while only doing 33 reviews in all of OpenStack [1]
in the past 90 months (I don't mean to pick on you out here, you are just
an example) doesn't seem right.

[1] http://www.russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/all-reviewers-90.txt