[openstack-dev] [neutron] Extraroute and router extensions

Ronak Shah ronak.malav.shah at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 02:34:56 UTC 2013

Hi Rudra,
Please see inline:

Thanks,
Ronak

> Updated the subject [neutron]
>
> Hi All,
>
> Is the extra route extension always tied to the router extension or
> can it live in a separate route-table container.

[RONAK] - Yes, extra-route is actually a router's route as per following
definition from extraroute_db.py
class RouterRoute(model_base.BASEV2, models_v2.Route):
    router_id = sa.Column(sa.String(36),
                          sa.ForeignKey('routers.id',
                                        ondelete="CASCADE"),
                          primary_key=True)
If extra-route routes

> are available in separate container then sharing of such
> containers across networks is possible.

[RONAK] - Agreed with the idea. Will following work?
class NetworkRoute(model_base.BASEV2, models_v2.Route):
   network_id = sa.Column(sa.String(36),
                          sa.ForeignKey(networks.id',
                                        ondelete="CASCADE"),
                          primary_key=True)

Another reason to remove the dependency would be to have
> next hops that are not CIDRs. Next-hops should be allowed as
> interface or a VM instance such as NAT instance. This would
> make the extra route extension more generic.

[RONAK] - Agreed. From db standpoint, nexthop just a 64 byte string. But in
extraroute_db.py there is a restriction of nexthop be only CIDR which
should be relaxed. Also, I feel taking out this restriction would mean that
you could assign a static route with a nexthop prior to an incarnation of
the nexthop (ie. VM instance, host interface etc).

> This way an extra-route container can be attached/bound to
> either a router extension or to a network as well. Many plugins
> do not need a separate router entity for most of the inter-network
> routing.

[RONAK] - What changes do you have in mind?

Thanks,