[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Libvirt] Virtio-Serial support for Nova libvirt driver

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 10:13:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 11:07:23AM -0700, Ravi Chunduru wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>   I will modify the blueprint as per your suggestions. Actually, we can use
> state_path in nova.conf if set or the default location.

This set of config vars:

  - Enable unix channels
  - No of Unix Channels
  - Target name

is really overkill. All you need is a list of target names really.
The 'enable unix channels' option is obviously 'true' if you have
any target names listed. And likewise the number of channels is
just the number of target names listed.

Also all hardware related config properties should have a 'hw_'
prefix on their name eg

   # glance image-update \
         --property hw_channels=name1,name2,name3 \
         f16-x86_64-openstack-sda

I still don't see clear enough information in the blueprint about
how this is actually going to be used. In particular the interaction
between neutron & nova.

eg you talk about neutron agents, which implies that the admins who
run the OpenStack instance are in charge. But then the image meta
stuff is really end user facing. In the talk of 'appliance vendors'
is unclear who is deploying the stuff provided by the vendors.

I'd like to see the blueprint outline the complete process of how
each part is configured from end-to-end and who is responsible for
each bit. If this is intended to be completely internal to the
admins running the neutron/nova services, then we don't want the
glance image properties to be exposed to end users.

Regards,
Daniel